Saturday, October 15, 2011

I've landed in OZ, but at least there are only good witches!

I know this Gardner Village witch thing has been going on a long time.  I remember my kids grandmother taking them there for Halloween festivities, but this is the first time I've faced the crowd and gone myself.  I have to admit, that the whole thing struck me as just a little weird.  Halloween - kids, kids - Halloween, Not here.  It all seemed to be about hundreds of twenty & thirty something moms, all in full witch regalia, each with 3 or 4 kids in tow.  I don't know if they were mesmerized or terrorized, but each brood seemed entranced,  mouths agape at the sight of it all.  Even stranger, it seemed that every blonde witch throughout witchdom had descended on Midvale just for the celebration.  I have to admit though, the practitioners of the dark arts seemed to be having a ball.

Terrorized myself by the goings on, I diverted my eyes from the madcap surroundings , and went about the reason I was there, to visit my friend Denise Dubek, who owns Aunt Elsie's , Gardner Village's vintage shop.

 When is the last time you saw an antiques shop mobbed by customers!

Even here, most of the shoppers seemed far from Kansas, but the local witches seemed to be falling under Aunt Elsie's spell.  Denise, whose motto is recycle, re-purpose & re-love, mixes her own brew of antiques, collectibles and vintage goods, "witch" is hard to resist.  

My wife Lyn continues her trek towards Nirvana

Selecting religious artifacts takes time and practice.

All in all, we had a great time. It's always nice to stop by and see Denise and her staff. I got an eyeful of witch world, and Lyn was herself bewitched by Aunt Elsie's.  She didn't leave empty handed, but, there's still plenty stuff for the next religious fanatic.  By the way, the witches will be back tonight,  so, it's a good opportunity to see if you can scare up a treasure of two at Aunt Elsie's!








No comments:

Post a Comment