Saturday, April 21, 2012

HOW AM I GOING TO SNEAK THIS STUFF PAST LYN? IT'S RECORD STORE DAY, AND I'VE BEEN A BAD BOY.

Like everyone, It's easy to get carried away on the big holidays, you know, like Christmas, New Years, Halloween, and of course Record Store Day.   It’s all just too exciting.  That's because there's  simply  nothing I like better than a Record Store.  Those hallowed depositories of the sights and sounds of our youth.

 
There is one caveat.  Unlike torn tee shirts, crumbs in my beard and buffets, I actually have standards when it comes to record stores.  I don't want to see CD's and cassette tapes, or racks full of those stupid little cases people carry them around in.  No displays of mp3 players, or those crappy little ear buds people think are real headphones.  Come on, just show me the records.

So, when I need a musical diversion, it's into the old pickup and off to Respin Records in Taylorsville, where owners Paul & Ginger really know how to stock a record shop. 


The Record Shop Day sale at Respin had been occupying  my thoughts for a couple of days.  The enticement; a big chunk of the stores regular stock for sale at a buck an album.  That's cheaper than when I bought them the first time around in the 60's.  So, on Record Shop Day eve, I laid in bed like a kid waiting for Santa, full of anticipation and worry.  The notion that someone might get there first causing  increasing anxiety. And sure enough, when I pulled in, the place was already buzzing.  .


Geez, people were hauling my records away by the crate full.  What about me? Still, a couple of hours later I found myself feeling a little calmer, and  leaving the store with a box of records worth a thousand memories for less than a hundred bucks.  Now, just how do I sneak the darn things into the house.

Thanks for the memories Paul!

No comments:

Post a Comment