Saturday, September 14, 2013

VINTAGE VINYL......... PULL UP A CHAIR & SIT A WHILE!

Occasionally, Lyn & I like to spend a few hours on Saturday mornings lurking around Salt Lake estates sales. And, as Lyn wanders the house, bedazzled by all the goodies, and wondering if today is the day the universe will reveal the identity of her next collection, I usually search out the seller to make my stock inquiry; "Any old records kickin' around here?" I stand there holding my breath, hoping that the gods will be with me, and that the heavens will open to reveal an old cardboard box or two containing the dusty old black platters that are the source of my amusement. If I'm lucky, I'll find myself squatting on the floor, sorting through a couple of dozen old albums, continuing a 30 year quest to reclaim the soundtrack from my teen years one or two records at a time. Imagine my amazement when I walked into the Salt Lake Vintage Flea Market, and found my friend Will Dator sitting in the middle of tens of thousands of records. The record mother lode. I was truly breathless.
 
I knew two things: "I'd need a chair, and I'd need some food", I was going to be there a while.  As I looked around, I noticed that the area was not only filled with old record albums, but thousands of 45's, as well as an old juke, some vintage sound equipment and rock & roll paraphernalia. I was salivating.  My only disappointment was pallet after pallet of unboxed and unsorted potential treasures still stacked up in the back. 

I began searching through hundreds of albums, and even payed a little attention the the 45's (which I think of as sort of like a backup girlfriend; a nice diversion in a pinch, but your not taking her home to mom for Sunday dinner). 
Still, I just couldn't take my eyes off all of those pallets of records in the back. I was haunted by the idea that someone might get to them first.  But,  I salved my disappointment with the knowledge that there were plenty of records for everybody, and I was going to be back often. 

If the hunt for old records keeps you awake at night, get yourself down to the Salt Lake Vintage Flea Market and check out VINTAGE VINYL.  Stop and say hello, I'll be the guy in corner with the glazed eyes and five o'clock shadow.

THE VINTAGE FLEA MARKET IS LOCATED
AT 550 WEST 300 SOUTH
OPEN EVERY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
10:00 AM UNTIL 4:00 PM
 

No comments:

Post a Comment